Here at Drumanilra we are creating an organic, artisan bakery, specialising in slow fermented, sourdough breads, and traditional Irish and European style pastries and cakes. The breads and bakery products will be consumed in our restaurants and sold in our retail stores. As the Bread Specialist at the Drumanilra Farm Kitchen, you will take full accountability for every aspect of producing and developing our Drumanilra Farm Kitchen Bread Range, using honest bread making principles, top quality organic ingredients, and old-fashioned natural levain.
You’ll be based at our new bakery just outside Boyle. You’ll be part of our central Production Kitchen Team. You’ll liaise closely with the General Managers and Chefs in each store, to fulfil stock requirements. You’ll be working alongside an experienced pastry chef. You’ll be reporting directly to the Executive Chef/Head of Operations, an industry leader, and prominent figure on the food scene here in the West of Ireland.
You’ll be responsible for developing and producing the Drumanilra Farm Kitchen Organic Bread Range. You’ll be preparing daily batches of fresh baked traditional and French-style breads. These will include organic sourdough and slow-fermentation products, and will be made from scratch using mainly organic ingredients. You will supply each of our Farm Shop and Restaurant sites in Carrick on Shannon, Strandhill and Boyle.
• Create an out-standing bread range
• Develop and test new products and continuously improve our recipes
• Work with the Exec Chef and Marketing Team to develop packaging for new products
• Manage product costings and margins
• Work to a budget
• Establish efficient workflows and schedules in the bakery to fulfil orders in a timely
• Manage packing, despatch, and delivery of orders
• Maintain food safety standards and records
• Manage stock, and place and receive orders for raw ingredients and equipment
• Develop a good relationship with suppliers and with the wider Drumanilra Team
• Manage and minimise waste and run the bakery in line with our sustainable business
• Lead and work as part of a small team
• Train and supervise new staff members
• Help create a diverse and inclusive workplace and an environment free of bullying,
harassment and discrimination.
We’re looking for an experienced bread baker with a passion for the traditional craft of bread baking and a strong appreciation for high quality artisan products.
To excel in this role, you will have:
• Understanding and enthusiasm for the Drumanilra Mission and Food Philosophy
• At least five years of bread preparation and production, preferably artisan, for both
restaurant and retail environments
• Sound “mise-en-place” experience
• A trade qualification to Bachelor’s degree level, or equivalent, together with further
relevant professional development
• Ability to scale, mould and shape dough
• Expert knowledge of using commercial-bakery equipment, such as dough mixers,
dough rollers and proofing cabinets
• Sound knowledge of Food Safety principles,
• Experience of managing a budget in a food service environment
• Ability to stand for extended periods of time and lift 20kg
• Ability to remain calm and focused in a fast-paced environment
• Flexible approach and attitude
• Ability to adapt and work well in a close-knit team
• Reliability and tidy presentation.
Find out more about working at Drumanilra and the benefits we provide.
Our Financial Benefits include an attractive salary plus a profit share scheme, mileage allowance, an annual leave allowance which increases over time, a cycle to work scheme and a discount card for nourishing lunches in our cafes on work days, and discounts in our shops and cafes for you and your guests on days off.
The well-being of our team is important to us. Alongside the benefits of living and working in this beautiful part of the country, we will work at creating a sociable, diverse and inclusive work space, flexible working opportunities, and will offer an Employee Assistance Programme.
We will also work hard at creating career development opportunities and pathways. We’ll invest in a robust review process for performance feedback, and for identifying opportunities for training and progression. We will commit to a minimum of two paid training days per year, for everyone, after one year’s service, plus an annual paid volunteer day for people to actively participate in their local community, and help further causes they are interested in.
To apply for this position please fill out the form below or alternatively email firstname.lastname@example.org with a short bio and attach your CV. We will acknowledge receipt of your application and we’ll get in touch with you if you are shortlisted for interview.
Find out more about the Drumanilra journey so far, from small beginnings to where we are today, and learn more about our amazing plans for the future.